Creamy Penne With Cauliflower Tomatoes And Black Olives
This one is a great Spring and Summer dish for a few reasons… One thing, it won’t heat up the house too much while making it. Also, it’s fresh and tasty and takes no time to put together. You will need:
- 1 lb penne pasta cooked al dente and drained
- a cup and a half of cauliflower florets (bite size)
- 1/2 can drained black olives
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup light cream, plus 1/2 cup milk if needed
- 1 can diced tomatoes, juice and all
- a few dashes each of salt and black pepper
- two round tablespoons of pesto sauce
Just before the penne is done, throw in the cauliflower for about a minute and drain everything, reserving a bit of the pasta water for later. Pour the noodles back into the pot and immediately add the cream and turn the heat to high until the cream bubbles then reduce to medium. Add the cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and stir in. Add the milk and pasta water if necessary to keep the sauce creamy. Add the whole can of tomatoes and then the black olives. Check the spices and it’s ready to serve.
The pasta picks up the sauce nicely, the cauliflower has a good amount of crunch in it, and it goes well with the briny olives. We try to have at least one meatless meal a week and this one is a real hit. We’ll do this one again!