These wintry days call for warm soothing meals at home. Soup with savory leeks and mushrooms in a creamy broth is the ticket. Leeks are of the mildest among the onion family. They cook up to be so tender and tasty and paired with the mild taste of mushrooms, this soup will melt away those chilly winds and give you plenty of energy to shovel the sidewalk yet again. It’s so easy to make too. All you need are:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks cleaned and chopped in 1/4 inch slices
- 5 mushrooms (any kind) thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 3/4 cup cream (I used heavy)
- 3/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- a pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
First saute the leeks and mushrooms in the olive oil until tender. Add the garlic and stir it in to bloom the flavor Add the broth, milk and cream and stir in the potato flakes. Stir in the remaining seasonings and let it simmer about 3 minutes.
Now at least six of you can have a nice hearty bowl of soup to warm you up all over. For extra hardiness you could add some left over chicken cut into cubes or add more pepper flakes to clear the sinuses during a nasty cold. This soup will provide relief and give you energy to muddle on through all that snow.